Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why it's not funny to joke about my intelligence

I can admit, with my boisterousness, harmless sarcastic humor, and easily identifiable weaknesses, I am an easy target for jokes. I'm all for humor, unless it happens to reflect every struggle I have ever had in my life. I understand the speaker was "joking," but has anyone ever felt that when a person using humor, blurs that line between funny and offensive, the speaker is really disguising how he or she feels about the person, or a belief they hold about the person?
       Someone quipped at work "If you have to ask me that question, I am surprised you have a degree."
Wow, really? You had to go there to that obvious, forbidden place? Let me tell you something. First of all, I am pretty sure, that due to the fact that you moan and complain when you are in pain, that if you were in my situation I know that you wouldn't have been able to achieve what I have. It took courage, will, and persistence, to work at stop and shop part time, having cerebral palsy and chronic pain issues. Standing up to questions of my intelligence exists as a routine exercise in my life. That's a low blow, especially since asking why my drawer at work had to be counted had really nothing to do with the fact that I have a degree, or more specific, I have two of them. Every day I have to work to put my smile on and walk out the door and be positive. Every day I struggle because things that are so easy for you are difficult for me.  I have to think about how I am getting places and who is bringing me where. I have to ask for help with things I don't want to and have to hear your snark about it. So do me a favor. Think of me not as a person of contradiction, think of me as a person of courage you wish you could have.

No comments:

Post a Comment