Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gifts

    In the interim between my internship and student teaching, about a semester's worth of time, I decided to go back to Stop and Shop, given that I needed money, and it was what I knew I could do. Sometimes I used to think about the fact that I had not "graduated" from Stop and Shop yet. Now I know better. If I had not returned to Stop and Shop in March of 2008, I would not have met  Gene at all. I wouldn't know that, while a person does not think I necessarily need to become a better person, I still would grow into a better person. Gene was out on Medical leave for about five months. I didn't want him to rush back if he was not ready, and I didn't think he would decide to come back. So, imagine my delight, when coming down the stairs I see one of my favorite people walking up the stairs to punch in. I screamed with joy and threw my arms around him, and he hugged me back. Normally, Gene and I didn't hug. We didn't need to. I believe I exclaimed "I didn't ever think that this would happen!"I was given another gift of a few more months of working with Gene. Now that he had been gone a while, I had time to compare the before with the after, and the relief I felt to work with him, not only because it was fun, but because when he was with me, I knew that he was okay, or at least okay enough to work.
  I am glad for God's gift of friendship between Gene and me, and the precious months that I worked with him when it would never happen again. Think of it, my friend. No more hospitals, no more struggle, no more sickness. I hope that wherever you are, you can see my trademark huge grin whenever you want to.
     It breaks my heart, but you have broken free of your life here on Earth. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment