Saturday, September 24, 2011

My friend, the comedian

Many knew Gene as a kind, courteous individual with high expectations for how service should be. But I often saw a different, funny side of him. Once I asked him if he watched American Idol and he looked at me with a look of most disgust on his face.  Or our tendencies to speak in an British Accent to one another.  "Hellllooooooo" When I first met him, he bagged my groceries and at that time I bought a lot of Cheerios, say four large boxes and he said "Maybe you'll have enough for tomorrow." He was honest. He told me once, because he didn't know that I had been an employee of Stop & Shop previously, "I didn't know if you could handle it. but boy, you showed me." He sang along to songs on the muzak in the store, and was surprised when he asked me for lyrics, and I went home and printed them out.  The amusing thing was that the song he wanted lyrics to "If I were a boy" by Beyonce and also sung by Reba Mcintire. These are the memories I will treasure when thinking of Gene. I smile remarkably less now. I'm less sure of the fact that how hard I try makes a difference. Gene, thank you for reminding me of all that is good in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment