Tuesday, May 22, 2012

the wrong angle

Instead of thinking "The way I am isn't good enough now so I have to change," or "I don't want to change because I'm happy with who I am" I need to build emotional endurance to be able to power through the times when I feel inferior.  From a disease model, I needed to change because I was defective. In reality though, it's not about a radical change. It's loving myself enough to endure the hard times of personal and professional change to get through the other side. If I don't, I am saying no to myself, eliminating opportunities because of the negative tape that plays in my head. This movie shows me being in a meeting with a client and coming apart, or shutting down when I am supposed to advocate for someone. However, the opposite of this is understanding my emotions and learning to control them, and calmly asserting a professional version of myself. I can do all of this. The story I tell myself is wrong.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment