Tuesday, July 26, 2011

transportation and Me (With occasional appearances of Jeremy)

So I live with my parents and younger brother, Jeremy, and between all three of them, I divide up my transportation needs.
This is because
1. Jeremy and I work at the same place in different departments
2. He is generously compensated.
3. Mostly, because my workplace will not give me a set schedule so that I know when I am working in order to schedule the bus service, which needs two weeks notice to book rides.
I don't want to schedule them and then have to cancel because if it happens too much, one's privileges become suspended. I could approximate when I will work, but I don't want to be waiting around for a couple of hours because I needed to get the ride when I could. I don't take cabs because I live far from my work, so getting a cab there would almost negate my working. I don't know if my work is doing anything wrong. My instinct tells me that work cannot do that because they want to be fair. It's a grocery store. A lot of people would want to have a set schedule. Except one thing. When I had surgery, or had physical therapy, or couldn't do something I was always told life wasn't fair. But here's the thing. I don't want something someone else would want because no one would actually, in my opinion, and I am talking about my co workers, no one would want the cerebral palsy part of my life. They want to be able to walk to work or drive or take the big bus because they can walk from stop to stop and navigate the stairs. I doubt my employer would understand the mental distress over not being able to have reliable, independent, transportation to work. I know it's not their responsibility. I get that. But I think that sometimes, my view counts, my view is important. My perspective on life is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment