Monday, June 13, 2011

Treatment, by others not doctors

I was asked if I struggled between being treated like everyone else, and being treated "special." I can't say I agree that it's that simple. I want to be treated like who I am and how I treat other people. For example, if someone treats me poorly, but they treat everyone that way, I still would take offense because it's not right to treat anyone that way.
Sometimes I am sensitive because of who I am, because that's who I was meant to be, and not because I have cerebral palsy. And I don't think, I can double check this but I am not sure that being sensitive is a crime. I guess it depends on the definition of "same." Treat me as a respectful, educated individual that has insights others might not? Sure. But treating me as if cerebral palsy isn't there? As if I am an average person with average experiences? I'm not sure I want that because that's not who I am. I don't like people asking why I'm sitting down at work, and I'm not sure why, I just don't like it, and that might well be just a preference, not CP related. Life is tricky. Sometimes I don't feel better when I hear people say "It could be worse." Life is not straight forward like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment