Monday, January 9, 2012

This person always knew

Even Plato knew life was hard. According to numerous websites, he is quoting "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." I have always understood that. It's a battle to be happy, to stay positive, to keep trying. The other day my managers were telling me that it would be easier to be born with a disability than acquire it, but I am not sure that is accurate, especially since I have had varying levels of mobility throughout my life. Could it be, that the two experiences are not comparable? Disability, and life, actually is a personal, objective, experience. Pain can't be quantified in a comparison. So "hard battle' pretty much covers it. Addiction, chronic pain, depression, mental health disorders, cancer, inherited diseases, divorce, abuse, money problems, disappointments, and crime are all painful battles. We all are fighting them. Let's all be kind.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa I am commenting on this writing and the next. I don't know anyone can decide or even remark on whether it is better be born with a disability or "acquire" one. It is not only rediculous but unnecessary. I have watched you since you were a baby and I admire you so much. You handle any difficulty you have with extreme dignity and I can only commend you for that. I work with people who judge people for everything from their hairstyle, how they dress, or the car they drive. These people are the same people who immediately sign up for a walk a thon so they can get their picture in the employee newsletter. However for the Holidays we adopt families and these same people don't buy a gift, personally I think it is because they were not singled out with a photo so all can see them. These same people would throw their best friend under the buss and get them in trouble to save their necks. However there are others who are so sweet, so caring and will go out of their way to be kind and charitable. These are the people who will quietly ask what else does the family need that we adopted for the Holidays. People are not judging you for your disability if it wasn't that it would be the hat you are wearing or the lipstick shade you have on. Unfortunately there are mean people and good people. No matter how much you try you will never make a mean person change. You have to learn to laugh at them and pity them. Don't let those mean people win. Tomorrow notice the good person and meditate on them for the days.

    ReplyDelete